among the many interesting things i could post about (defending my thesis; making first time trips to canada, the northwest, and texas; recent discoveries and obsessions, some resulting from listening to 1776 and some resulting from more sleepless nights in the presence of kingfish; etc etc etc), i'm posting this video because i appreciate having a president who calls the media back to task. i realize that some of you likely see this video quite differently than me, and i'm interested in how it happens that when i see sincerity and leadership, others see gimmicks. is it because we've already decided our position before watching? similarly, i'm wondering how so many people can still hold on to an issue that has factually been laid to rest. how do we escape the limitations of our opinions--all of us? i'd really enjoy hearing any insights.
3 comments:
First of all my opinions have no limitations... :-)
Second of all this video made me think of two things: being untrustworthy and being condescending.
If I knew nothing about anything (which might not be a stretch) I would have thought it was an impressive speech by a caring lawmaker who just wants to be busy about the business of his country.
But since I know that Obama has broken many promises he made while running for office I don't trust him. So I don't believe many of the words that come out of his mouth. This doesn't mean they aren't true, they could be, only that he has taught me not to trust him.
And when an elected leader (or a leader of any kind) is condescending to those he hopes will follow him I realize it isn't about 'us' at all but about 'him' and those that are on his 'team'. For all the things I wish Bush would have done differently he gained respect from me in one facet during his presidency because he usually treated those who had different opinions with respect (such as the mother of the soldier camping outside his Texas home... said it was her right to protest, etc. never belittled her)
@Twisted Sister-
THANK YOU for responding. seriously. i am intrigued and perplexed by opinion formation, especially within a religious culture that is doctrinally committed to finding the truth wherever it be, and i will be exploring this topic more in the future. i do want to probe your comment as you probed mine with a few questions: 1. can you think of a politician who has kept all of his promises? 2. can you be more explicit about what promises obama broke (both for my educational sake and for rhetorical thoroughness)?
i have been talking with various friends recently about a hypothesis: our political decisions/opinions are basically entirely emotional--gut instinct, combination of years of experience, family influence, etc--and we stay informed just so that we can try to explain our emotional decisions logically. what do you think about that idea? possible?
Dearest Cath, you strike such a civil tone when I had just now planned to come back here and delete my comment! I promised myself I would stay out of politics, keeping my votes and opinions to myself... and then here I go again.
To answer you 1. no, but I am ever optimistic and hold the President of the U.S. to the highest standard possible. and 2. no. there really isn't room in a comment (or probably interest) enough to put much here. a simple google brings them up.
And yes I think your hypothesis is possible and very likely in many situations. I am probably the opposite though, make gut decisions about politics but stay informed to see if I need to make a course correction... which I have at different times actually.
Post a Comment