Sunday, January 27, 2008

I was hit by a deer!






Okay. It's getting out of hand. The first few were cute, quaint, picturesque, tres nature, etc etc... Now they poop all over the place and act like they own the joint. Every night when I walk up my stairs, I hear rustling in the bushes. My heart races, and then I remember: it's just the deer who have taken over my backyard. They startle when they hear me, as though a human being is the last thing you would expect to see walking up cement steps to her back door!!! This whole incident brings up many questions about deer intelligence. Can they not process their surroundings? Do cars and headlights mean nothing to them? Does a brick house that people--yes, humans!--walk in and out of seem normal in their world?






Back in my childhood years, we would put a salt lick in the backyard to attract these quaint picturesque beasts. That was years ago. Didn't the deer get the memo?






3 comments:

m.m. said...

i think they just know that family of outdoors men live in the red brick house and won't hurt them...

Unknown said...

you know, I'm a little surprised by this outburst. I mean, I know it was really annoying when we were kids and there was deer poop everywhere we were trying to play...and I totally relate to being totally mutually startled as I came up the back stairs late at night. but other than that? it doesn't really bug me that much. actually, I still like seeing them back there. why do you hate deer?

Liz said...

Love the allusion to a classic moment in Rory's life... "you hit a deer?"
"No, I was hit BY a deer!"
Good times.