Wednesday, January 9, 2008

It's that time of year...



January gets the shaft as far as months are concerned. (side note: any guesses on when "shaft" will become mainstream enough to be appropriate in school papers?) No cool holidays-ah! I take it back, one tres cool holiday: NEW YEARS DAY. But mostly new years day is a holiday that lives in the shadow of lofty and repeatedly unfulfilled expectations. It deserves a little slack as holidays go, since it has to follow Christmas, and who can top that anyway?
Funny, I never post because I think I have nothing to say. Hello, do I ever have nothing to say? But the crucial distinction must be made between things to say and interesting things to say. For as my dad once told me, "not everyone finds things as interesting as you do." "Fie on those people", I once told my dad. I'm humbler now, and I recognize that I must coerce and please my blog following with interesting tidbits so they'll (you'll) stick around.

I would post on new years resolutions--but I haven't made any. In such circumstances I side with Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes and his philosophy of always projecting low expectations to ensure that you always over-perform. I'm set to have a great year. I did Pilates today for crying out loud. Though, "my buns, they don't feel nuttin like steel."

So the topic of today that I began with was MI-GRA-TION. That need to fly off for warmer feeding ground, that scientific feat responsible for thousands of birds making lovely patterns across the sky...I love seeing birds in the sky.

I, creature of space, am bound to dismal January. My thoughts are free to wander the world; memories head back to their birthplace for rejuvenation and return to me brighter than ever. Where has my mind been lately?
























































One last question. Where do the ducks go?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cath, my apologies for being the first to comment on your blog AGAIN. it's very boring. but I've been waiting so long. (strange sidenote: why do I always feel like I need to specify the particular inflection I hear in my head as I'm writing? you're probably better off without it, so just do your best. but if you're curious, I'll tell you. one has to do with scuttle from the little mermaid.)

for starters I can't quite bear to do the dishes OR exercise OR catch up on work right now, and for finishers, those pictures made my day. desert spring, montana, tetons. ah. goodness.

Jane Durham said...

what about MLK day? lets plan a trip to So Utah.

rudi said...

last night was perf. loved seeing you. call me next time you do pilates.

rudi said...

last night was perf. loved seeing you. call me next time you do pilates.