Everyone knows happiness can't be bought. Let's set that thought aside, then, and imagine what it would look like if it could be bought, or how much we'd be willing to pay.
Happiness Exhibit A:
Apparently, after rereading, I'm only willing to pay half price for happiness. I'm a cheapskate, a miser, a SCROOGE.
I can never finish the wild ambitions I start on. As my tennis teacher once told me, I lack follow through. (I've also heard this often from people on the other end of my answering machine....) I should remember this when I start an a), b), c), or 1), 2), 3) routine. If I would just leave off the numbers, no one would ever know I had petered out.
Back to happiness though, Leo whatshisname tried making a Happiness Machine in Dandelion Wine, which may be the best book of the summer (every summer, in fact), but his machine ruined everything. Technology has advanced, and I'm sure if Leo could simply get through those gates to that secret secret room where Pixar keeps the key....
In other news, I've hit upon the ideal analogy: temp agency employers = parol officers. I get my daily check-up call to see if I've gotten into trouble and if I'm keeping my "skills" up for the distant day when I will be assimilated back into productive society. Their condescension reminds me that they make their money off of my transience, and perhaps don't mean it when they sickly sweetly encourage my efforts to get off the streets of unemployment. Morticians need dead people, cops need criminals, temp agencies need me. Ahh. To be needed.
And last of all, a line from Joan Didion: "Some women fight and others do not."
4 comments:
Pixar is like the most popular girl in school: attractive, talented, and kind to boot. I don't know if a whole company can be kind, but I definitely would like pixar to sign my yearbook. They have a permanent cereal bar for crying out loud.
Dearest new BFF Catherine,
Next Tuesday night, let's go to Tea Cake Bake Shop happy hour together. I'm so glad you found it, because that was going on my list of places you must go!
I found your blog, and now I'll be a reader/follower/subscriber/stalker/whatever. Let's get together on days we're not temping (aka most days)!
xo
Kim
PS - Pixar is so great that even though I was laid off after only 6 weeks of work, I still love them.
I loved this post and laughed out loud about the temp agencies and being needed, but groaned (in my head this time) when thinking about being a temp agency enabler next month when I move and have no job. Oh well, it has to be done right?
CATH, I JUST LOVE YOU. And I'm on that eternal sweets bandwagon with you. Can't seem to get off it in fact... no matter what I do!
Post a Comment