i have a lot on my mind in a heart sort of way. by which i mean i really care about the things on my mind so my distraction is compounded. the whole me is out for lunch. pondering. pondering. feeling. pondering. note: i will never apologize for feeling. i will also never apologize for expecting other people to feel too, even if they are men. (in case this sounds very stereotypical, this is a reaction to several recent conversations and, actually, a whole heap of foundational experiences.) the notion that feelings are the province of women--i refuse.
with my girlfriends, or perhaps inspired by my girlfriends, i have been asking, why is it so hard to love ourselves?
i see myself in the mirror; i see my face critiquing my face, my shape, my size, and the spirit beneath it all, and i know i am participating in a ritual. i am not alone, fighting against the darkening sky of social pressure and medical manipulation, redefining beauty as how i look instead of how others look, how i treat my body instead of how much i weigh, how i feel about myself instead of how others feel about me.
i love this woman. for her, about her, i feel deeply.
i cannot separate my identity from her, nor do i want to. she is strong. gracious. intelligent. committed. beautiful in my eyes. she loved her body till the end; loves it still, i imagine, from a distance. and yet, i learned the ritual from her, inherited a simultaneous gratitude and disgust. i saw her dissatisfaction in retail fitting rooms and the safety of her bedroom. looking at photographs. i remember sitting with her on the couch, flipping through newly developed pictures of a trip to the desert and hearing her bemoan the size of her stomach. she didn't know then, wouldn't know for months, that it was the cancer creeping into her space, taking territory by sleuth. so maybe this one time, she was right to cast a disapproving eye. i don't know. i know that i feel very sad when i think of her seeing her body as though she had let herself down, done something wrong, failed in some way, when in reality, it was never her fault.
unlike most rituals, this one in front of the mirror is isolating. we only see the faults in ourselves. my mom thought imperfection was her curse, not mine too. i was perfect in her eyes; my body was perfect. i felt the same way about her. i feel the same way about my friends. i appreciate the diversity around me. i do not appreciate the diversity of me. i cannot hear a response to my appearance without cringing, whether it is a compliment or a critique. this is the place i have come to. i do not want to hear that i am beautiful because i don't trust the words and i don't trust the people saying them.
maybe men feel this way too. maybe a lot of women don't feel this way. i don't know. while i don't think this is specifically a gender issue, i care about being a woman and i speak as a woman. i believe i have an important voice that should not be silenced, even by my own fears, especially by others' fears. my beauty is my power, my voice, the thoughts in my head, and my feelings. i read a blog yesterday about a girl with an eating disorder. as i read, i thought This is the power of blogs. this is what they are for, voices reaching other voices, individuals sending up whispers that find their way into shouts of collective humanity. the stories that aren't told are forgotten. the stories that aren't told are forgotten.
sometimes people ask questions, the answers to which mean life or death, faith or flounder. (church, in its perfect state (for me), would be full of people asking these questions.) this is my question. why is it so hard to love ourselves?
13 comments:
Trust me.
You are a beautiful lady, and a beautiful writer. I too am trying to focus more on how I treat my body than on how much I weigh (or how much I jiggle). It's hard, and I do think it's something both sexes deal with. Female body issues are more marketable, as women are *supposed* to be insecure, and men are *supposed* to be strong...but I know I'm not the only one in our apartment who worries about the size of my stomach.
because we are our biggest critics. Why it is so hard to love our family members sometime - those that are closest to us? Because we do not understand the love of God. The closest love we can feel perhaps is for our own children. Your Mom had almost a perfect love for you, because she created you and cares for you and worries for you and wants the best for you.
Unfortunately the social pressures, societal norms, and media influences of the world drown out those rare moments where we see ourselves through God's eyes or even our parents eyes.
Perhaps we can drown out the world? but how?
My heart and mind are so full of thoughts and feelings that i cannot even attempt to write them as a "comment" but thanks for making me feel and helping in my desire to love myself more.
cynical answer: there is a lot of money out there in the world that is aimed towards making women feel insecure and less than we are - because then we're so much more likely to buy beautifying, thinning, slimming, age-defying, detoxifying products. mega money industry.
heart answer: it's part of the plan. it's why we're here. love thy neighbor as thyself? start with self. it's a powerful tool of the devil to persuade us away from our innate and natural goodness and beauty - it limits our ability to do good.
I won't allow myself to be manipulated by either the devil or the multi-billion dollar beauty industry to believe that I am less than or not enough. I am enough. I will love myself - inside and out.
It is hard. Why is it so hard? I, too, listened to my mother disparage herself and it made me distrust my own worth. If my beautiful mother thinks there is something wrong with herself than there must certainly be something wrong with me, too. I remember this logic being instilled in me as a tiny girl. (Not that it is my mother's fault, it is a cycle of lies we tell ourselves as a society). It is one of my life goals to speak about myself kindly in front of my children. Start there. Then hopefully I can learn to think about myself kindly, too.
thank you for writing this post. it is something i want to rage and rage against also.
The adversary is tricky. He knows you all too well. God is aware. He knows you. The goal - to see ourselves through God's eyes. Strangely that is the hard part - hard because it is not a quick fix. Even if we see ourselves as He sees us one day - the next day we may have to relearn, refocus, rededicate. "The DAY of this LIFE is the time to prepare to meet God."
I love you Cath. We'll live it together.
you are beautiful to me inside and out. i am lucky to know you, i am lucky to know curtis women who are strong and have substance. thank you for your voice. love you. cait
Loosely translated from Norman McClean, why is it so hard to help those we love? What we offer is not what they want.
One feminine friend that I love and have watched from infancy, knows how to leave marks that are arcs as gravity pulls her down a snowy slope. It is a gift. It is like four part harmony, it is a four count movement with embellishments, it is a syncopation between knees and ankles. It is not symmetrical but the variations from left and right make the motion interesting and graceful and charming. The turns shout to spectators that the variations are signatures of character, they thumb their nose to the dangers of vertical space, they say I do this because I can. Each mark on the snow is a part of a dynamic canvas. I often look at the marks and I know who made them. I guess it is my gift that I can identify the artist.
My friend is away feeding her soul. I see her infrequently. She now sings a lot, finding her breaking point. (great image this)
I hope I get to see her art this Winter.
much love
boss
This is a wonderful post. I agree with you, "I appreciate the diversity around me. I do not appreciate the diversity of me." You are a wonderful writer and thinker. I enjoy all your posts (sorry, I blog stalk you.)
cath, no matter how far apart we may end up, i will ever be seeking after your wisdom and your words. i think we don't love ourselves because we are not grateful enough.
I just remembered today that you told me how to get to your blog. I'm glad I came here. And I'm glad I read this.
Even if you don't trust your physical beauty, you must trust that you write beautiful, beautiful things. Thanks.
Post a Comment