these are the songs that are saying it how i feel today.
----------
i heard someone sing this song today, and it was very very nice. made me cry. i don't want to be responsible for binding anyone to the pasture. that's the lesson of the day.
HOMEWARD BOUND
Marta Keen
In the quiet misty morning, when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red,
When the summer's ceased its gleaming, when the corn is past its prime,
When adventure's lost its meaning, I'll be homeward bound in time.
Bind me not to the pasture. Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow.
If you find it's me you're missing, if you're hoping I'll return,
To your thought I'll soon be list'ning; in the road I'll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end,
And the path I'll be retracing when I'm homeward bound again.
Bind me not to the pasture. Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow.
In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing, I'll be homeward bound again.
-----------
and this one--well, just give me one thing that i can hold on to...
ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY
John Prine
I am an old woman, named after my mother
My old man is another, child that's grown old
If dreams were thunder, lightning were desire
This old house would have burnt down, a long time ago
Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster from an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go
When I was a young girl, well I had me a cowboy
He weren't much to look at, just a free rambling man
But that was a long time, and no matter how I try
The years just flow by, like a broken down dam
There's flies in the kitchen, I can hear 'em there buzzing
And I ain't done nothing, since I woke up today
How the hell can a person, go to work in the morning
And come home in the evening, and have nothing to say
this vid is not the best ever, but i kinda like bonnie's feathered bangs. plus, she's just pretty killer i think, though getting better with time.
5 comments:
How strange - My middle school choir sang Homeward Bound...this brought back memories of auditioning for solos and lots of pre-teen angst. :-)
Biggest hug ever to you, in my mind.
ah kim! i miss you! you should come visit utah and play in the snow...we have cupcakes here, too, it turns out.
No way! Cupcakes in Utah? Incredible! :-) I kinda do want to come visit Utah...alas, lack of funds, alack! Some day...
Homeward Bound has always been a favorite. I love your beautiful writing and your thoughts Catherine.
LOVE homeward bound. reminds me of mom a lot, I listened to it in her bedroom many times towards the end.
angel from montgomery goes without saying. just giva me one thing...
Post a Comment