went walking a few days ago and it was winter, all of a sudden. in the same way, it is three years, all of a sudden.
each year is a reconfiguring. a new constellation of meaning.
doesn't matter how many times winter has come, how many lives have ended, how many treasures lost. eventually it is the first missing, the first frost, and a new sensation: cold cold cold.
what does it mean to let go?
loss is the home, the object, of all of my longing.
perhaps I've become predictable in writing this--but only as predictable as death, never more predictable than winter. i hope to meet her in my dreams tonight, to see her eyes regard my face as they did that last time, with love and approval.
ps forgive me for using the same picture. it isn't for lack of suitable pictures. there's just something about this one.
8 comments:
thinking of you today. and that picture is priceless.
The sun came out today after a week of being cold and misty. To me it was symbolic.
Cath, I am hugging you in spirit from (naturally) sunny CA. You are a beautiful writer.
The picture shows the immense bliss she is experiencing with you in her arms. What an amazing love.
I think there's love and approval in her eyes everyday because of the person you are.
Cath,
How poetic of you. You make other people want to write poetically. I know because of the comments people leave you. Or you're friends with a bunch of poets. Did you hear Nike is starting a new line of shoes for poets. Slogan: Just po et. If you don't believe me, ask Cammie Johnson--she's short.
Oh Cath.
Hope you don't think I'm creepy for reading this, but it made me cry and I had to comment. You are a beautiful writer and you have captured a world of pain and love in just a few paragraphs. Wow.
Post a Comment