Sunday, September 5, 2010

we always did too much talkin anyway

met a woman at church today who has transformed my view.  (i wish all of my transformations were more lasting...but here's to hope this one will stick.)  this woman got to the heart of things in about seven seconds of conversation.  she asked the questions most people are too polite to ask.  she followed up with insight and personal experiences and more questions that really made me think.  she didn't hesitate to give, so i gave too.  after our fifteen minutes, she had convinced me that she cared about me and what i had to say.  she was so convincing that i actually spent the walk home trying to figure out why/how she cared so much.

it's hard for me to accept, but i get that not everyone is into this type of communication and that the seemingly intense and personal questions i love could be another's dread.  i'm trying to moderate my expectations for connecting with other humans, and not because others let me down, but because i let me down.  i'm not capable of connecting as much or in the ways i want.  hence my favorite words from a favorite man, President Thomas S. Monson: "often we live side by side but do not communicate heart to heart."  

more about what this woman gave me. she helped me recognize the gift of time, particularly in four years to prepare for goodbye. she reminded me of the strength of sisterly love.  she helped me feel how reconciliation liberates. 


resolve: to be more present and more authentic in all of my communication.  to be a better listener. 

2 comments:

JenErik said...

I love talking to you. I love reading your words. I love listening to you. I love the way you listen to me. I LOVED seeing you.

Raymon said...

Hm. I like this. You should come to my institute class up in Midway. I can't describe my experiences there except that it makes me want to have hope. It is always just what I need.