Tuesday, February 8, 2011

dc pictures part I: traveling alone

i'd like to say that i default to the self-portrait only when no one else is around, but that isn't really true. self-portraits have become the family way, and as my daddy always taught me, the self-portrait is an art.
here are a few classic marv self-portraits (there were actually SO many, I couldn't resist posting a few):


i've included a few gems of my own, along with some pointers for the perfect self-portrait.

1. be sure to put your head right in front of the thing you are photographing, ie the capitol.

2. self-portraits are ideal for already weird pictures. (did you know we have something like 96% genetic similarity to chimps?)  also, try to disguise your reaching arm.

3. again with the face right in front of the capitol. also, try to make really inconspicuous non-photo faces to ease the awkwardness of other people observing you taking pictures of yourself. 
4. ummmmmmm winner.

and some of the non-solo self-portraits:



check out lj's hair.  and don't worry, there are more where those came from.  way more.

ps after looking at my dad's pictures, and then mine again, i started feeling a little egotistical.  i mean, look at the relative size of marv in those pics.  and can't we stand to not be in a picture every once in a while?

nope.  guess not.

6 comments:

Kate said...

wow, i'm seriously impressed with marv's skills. i actually like the wash monument one, because i loooove the washington monument. next time we happen to be in DC the same week, we'll spend more time together:)

Carly said...

Too funny! I'm taking these pointers for future ref. Hope you're having fun!

Lauren Kay said...

I love that your head was always in front of the Capital! Ha! Also, LJ's hair/OUR hair. Good times. I also noticed that my "lazy eye" snuck into the picture. It only comes out on rare special occasions. Glad it's in a self portrait. (And, I loved having you visit. I'm still dreaming of the day when you move here. Maybe I should start a campaign C611--Cath June 2011)

cait & darren mower said...

looks so fun and I am VERY impressed with your self portrait abilities

Kim said...

This post was hilarious, and the photos were brilliant in all sorts of ways. Love you.

Unknown said...

i don't get the part where you said "the awkwardness of having someone look at you taking your own picture" or something. why don't you just ask them to take your picture...then you make a friend and get the capitol...