Sunday, August 2, 2009

i think i'm growing up.

but first, b and i went on a bike adventure to golden gate bridge. it was windy. and foggy.
took lots of self portraits.
took lots of quasi-artsy poser photos.
this one looks like it could fit on a dentist office wall with some motivating quotation about perseverance.
really loving this city. not sure i'm ready to leave it for the desert.
palace of fine arts. no bikes allowed.

about growing up:

i was laid off for the first time (thanks kim. important distinction). while i can't help but feel totally rejected, i take comfort in pointing a finger at the big bad economy who sneaks in the back door and chases the children out onto the street to beg for their bread. i can now come closer to imagining how it might feel for someone to learn with no warning that their career has ended. how it might feel to wonder what the future will be and if there will be money in it. how it might feel to doubt yourself and your capacity to contribute. i know what you're thinking (as the author of my blog, i grant myself omnipotence): this is summer camp. please. you are right to think that, but a job is a job, and being fired is rejection, no matter if you don't care for the people rejecting you and think that they and their hoity-toity club can stuff it.

i have to make big decisions. i try to resist this. i try to pawn off choices on anyone who'll take them (interested?), but they keep coming back and staring me in the face.

i am learning to budget. a little slow on the game, but i'm excited about the organizational possibilities. it makes me feel like i've just been given my first franklin day planner all over again.

i am leaving home, emotionally. i try to resist this, too, but i think i have time to ease and sidle and pause plenty.
the wheels are in motion and my future is waiting.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Hey, it's important to know and consider the difference between Fired and Laid Off, too ;-)

Blame the economy; it helped me. And thank it for allowing you time to enjoy this city while you're here!

I'll be sad when you go back to the desert, but you know you'll always have a place to stay when you need a visit!

Unknown said...

I'm a little jealous of you getting your first fired/laid off experience so young and at such a job, in such a life situation. at least now it's behind you! you can never be laid off for the first time again.

phew.

love the photos, love the writing. I don't know about the desert, but your family is definitely missing you and will be happy to have you home.

p.s. growing up is hard. I kind of hate it, especially the parts that still remain for me and even more especially the parts that I didn't know were remaining for me that I'm now discovering. forza.

Amy Lovell said...

Cath, I'm so sorry about the job. Good thing working sucks anyway, right? :)

I'm so jealous you're living in San Francisco, I LOVE that city so much, and the pictures of the golden gate bridge make me envious.

Erin said...

Re: Amy's Comment. I'm officially suggesting this a location for MAY 2010.