Monday, January 25, 2010

she's not funny.

i had the realization today, for the thousandth time, that my potential to be really really funny is naturally limited by the fact that i'm a female. this is disappointing. (although if i was a man and i wasn't funny, what excuse could i give? i love having caps on my potential: removes so much pressure.)

i first learned this truth in fifth grade, when three of the most popular boys in school dressed up as girls for halloween. they were way funnier than any real girls i've ever met.

i learned this again during every high school assembly i ever attended.

i learned this again from tv (so educational),

and again today, while on a ski lift, at a birthday party, and sledding.

i would suggest that men only seem funnier than women because women are more generous with their laughter, but that doesn't explain why so many men find men funnier than women too, though that could simply be attributed to solidarity and gender arrogance. kind of like how a lot of men prefer listening to male singers rather than female singers.

there is nothing worse than watching a man try to be funny and fail except for watching a woman try to be funny and fail (this post is not intended as an object lesson.) i know there are funny females out there, even among us, but it's not the same. i'm sorry. i'm sorry for both of us.

ps how many conversations have you had trying to identify the funniest females, famous or otherwise? this is a semi-annual conversation for me, which i'm considering abandoning since the results are always so depressing.

6 comments:

Jane Durham said...

ouch at first, touche at last.

it is true for me (and Ben) that you are one of the only funny girls. myself included, until recently, but I wouldn't be funny to him if he didn't love me enough to marry me!

cait & darren mower said...

true. but i know several funny females, most of them curtis' (okay all of them are relatives, but whatevs). the world just isnt ready for the curtis clan clowns :)

kathy w. said...

I have always wanted to be funny (and have always failed). When I told my husband that, he laughed. And then told me very seriously that I probably shouldn't try too hard.

Kim said...

Maybe it's because I grew up in theatre, and in improv, and knew a TON of very funny women...but I think for once, I disagree with you! I do think that men have it easier, but I don't think that women can't be as (or more) funny.

Tina Fey? Amy Poehler? Samantha Bee? My dear friend Jessie Gaskell (who, among other things, used to write for The Soup and is now the head writer for The Dish)?

There are lots of funny ladies out there to admire!

cath said...

amen kim. i am trying to change my perception on this.

Amy Catherine said...

My sister is by far the funniest person I know, male or female.