
To all automatically flushing toliets:
I appreciate your efforts (especially when wearing skirts or very tight jeans cause my momma done taught me right--only flush with your foot) but could you at least wait until I'm done?
I'm speaking for my niece too, who jumped off the toliet at the bowling alley mid-go if you know what I mean because the flushing scared her so bad. Sheesh. There are some places where a person deserves a little leisure time, even in today's fast-paced world.
P.S. I took the above picture from a ny times article about kids who fear automatic toliets. I'm including some of my favorite lines:
"Even some adults confess that the machines make them nervous. But to many toddlers, they are the stuff of nightmares."
"Jerilyn Ross, president of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, said that a fear of automatic toilets did not, in itself, meet the criteria for a psychiatric diagnosis."
" For children who panic about automatic flushing, she said, “You can say, ‘Ooh, look what happened, it flushed without you.’ That really helps a lot.”"
Read the whole article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/nyregion/12flush.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
4 comments:
I loved this. I was in the airport yesterday and had to use the restroom. I, being the germaphob that I am, proceeded to lay down the seat sheet (what are they called?) and sit down. By the time I had hit the seat the toilet had flushed and sucked the seat sheet with it. So there I sat in Las Vegas germs, feeling utterly perturbed about automatic toilets.
I haven't been able to experience auto-flush toilets without laughing since I read this. each time, I can't help but picture Lainey jumping off the toilet mid-stream, surprised. so funny!
haha what a post! courtney (meg's little girl) will hold it the WHOLE time from chicago to slc...airport and flight included due to "the fear". i will pass along this article! fabulous!
I just read this to Lainey and at first she didn't remember - but when I reminded her, she burst out laughing and laughed and laughed.
Post a Comment