Thursday, January 8, 2009

String Quartet in F by Ravel

It sounds like pine trees and endless grass. Like Firehole River smashing powerful on rock and wood then falling vulnerable through air. Like early early sunshine that sees you before you see it. Like the way the earth grows, and as mysterious.

I admit, I don't know what to do with music most of the time as far as words are concerned. How to spin sound into letters, either to describe or mimic. But there are a few songs that seem to play the inside of me, and I wonder if they sound as familiar to everyone else. I don't think my brain very much resembles Ravel's or Mozart's or any of the greats--so how did they know me well enough to write me in their songs?

Last night, we discussed the question, "What is Literature?" in one of my classes. I eventually arrived at a saying of Marvie's: The meaning of communication is the response you get. I think I agree with Mr. Stanley Fish--literature may be shaped more by the eyes reading than the hands writing. And perhaps its the same with music.

I read and hear landscapes.

4 comments:

Jane Durham said...

that's how I feel when I say a song is panoramic.

Unknown said...

I'm so disappointed.

I saw the title of your post on my reader and hoped it would have a link to the music so I could hear it and feel it and read it ALL.

give me more.

please?

Stephy said...

Your writing is getting better Cath, mine is definitely getting worse - I just about put you're at the beginning of the sentence.

rachel said...

Catherine, I just have to say, and I think I've said it before, I love your writing. I just do! Please let me know when you write a book, or a short story! I'm sure you have already, no? In that masters program of yours?