Friday, September 25, 2009

the donut

today i had a maple bar for breakfast. a maple bar and chocolate milk and a poppyseed muffin. if you know me, you may be surprised to hear that i have been trying to eat healthy. (i actually assume that anyone who reads this does know me, but i was gonna say "for those of you who don't know me, i have been trying to eat healthy," and then i realized those words made it sound like those who know me would obviously know i'm eating healthy, which is unlikely considering i can't kick some habits. namely desserts. and french fries.)

anyway, i've been thinking about a chocolate raised donut all week and resisting the urge to buy one all week. you know that old shopping strategy though, the one that says "if you leave the store and you're still thinking about the sweater a week later, you should go back and get it?"

i bought the donut.

i asked for a chocolate raised and as her gloved hand went to the glass, i shouted "No! Maple Bar!"
--
before i bought the donut, i was thinking about which of the many achievements of the week i should make it a reward for. and as achievements of the week were slim, i decided to buy it for myself for just being me. how do you like that?

the donut was so worth it. i only wish i could have made it last forever. i'm mid-muffin, and it's pretty darn good too.

go buy yourself a donut. you deserve it.

10 comments:

Kate said...

mmmmmm.... maple bar. good choice my friend. there is no better reason than to have bought it for just being you, esp. YOU!

Jane Durham said...

I never crave maple bars but when I have them, I remember that they are good.

Kim and Steve said...

Life's too short to not eat sweets...or french fries.

Liz said...

Were you in the Wilk? I'm picturing you at the Wilk. I just love you and your habits. I wish I were there to share bad habits with you!

Liz said...

Were you in the Wilk? I'm picturing you at the Wilk. I just love you and your habits. I wish I were there to share bad habits with you!

SJ said...

I would have also bought the donut. I hope all is well.

loves,

sj

Unknown said...

I can't believe you traded out a chocolate donut for a maple bar!

but the last minute decision change - so classic. we're so related.

maybe I'll swing by sev and pick me up a chocolate chocolate donut after my run that I'm currently considering and will hopefully actualize. or maybe I'll just walk on down and reward myself for just being me.

Annie said...

Love reading your blog Catherine. You are an incredible writer! Next time you should try an eclair from the French Bakery. Incredible!

JenErik said...

don't tempt me. maple bars are a weakness. YUM they are so worth it.

The Kingfish said...

I prefer to just keep a dozen sourcream donuts in the upstairs fridge and a dozen chocolate chocolate donuts in downstairs fridge. This way i never have to wonder whether i deserve such a reward enough to purchase them.