Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Today it is fall.




And today I wish I were old. I wish I had experience behind me rather than in front, my life's path trailing into specifics rather than mist, my hands bearing decades of meaningful work. So many years have passed, and I am still young. Very young. I do not want to arrive on the other end of my life without having lived it, but I'd like to have lived it today. I want to deserve and have earned more things in my memory. I want to be wise. I want to be fall.

There is snow on the mountains. Do you know what this does to me? How the sight brings on the delicious (not frightened) shivers? How a little speckling of white on brown grounds me to this place?

2 comments:

SJ said...

Your writing is amazing, thank you for sharing.

Loves,

sj

Unknown said...

amen.

do you think you'll recognize the point where your life shifts from one end of the scale towards the other? where suddenly you feel you have experience behind you instead of ahead? where you don't feel too young anymore? and will there be any time to savor the middle ground, or will you just slip from young to suddenly old? and when I say you, of course I mean I.