I just saw (and I am actually currently seeing) a guy wearing what I call a silver gangster necklace. I did not realize these were still fashionable, the last reported incidence being brother ben in the nineties. (Ben may actually still wear said necklace, but he is exempt from any comment being a) highly fashionable and b) my brother.) I could describe the necklace to you, but you know they say a picture says a thousand words and I'm into overdoing it lately.
Here are a thousand words from google images on "silver gangster necklace."

Google reads minds. So does Apple. I don't know how they do it, but they know me better than I know myself. So this isn't exactly what I had in mind, or what this guy is wearing, but it's pretty darn close. Strangely, it sort of resembles my David Yurman necklace (the picture, not the real one the guy is wearing) which is not gangster at all. I wonder how this fine jewelry store feels about their necklace showing up as the top image hit for "silver gangster necklace."
Because I couldn't believe that google knew me so well, and because I was unsure of my classification, I did another google image search for confirmation: "silver white trash necklace."
This image confirmed that my first hunch was right. What I was witnessing was gangster, not white trash. The above necklace is the sort worn by men with over-sized tshirts and pants. (I don't know what kind of pants, but pants are typically worn. The over-sized tshirt is the important part.) The below necklace is apparently worn by people who are white trash.

While doing this google image search, I thought about "white trash" and how unpleasant the combination is. I thought about how maybe I don't want to use this word anymore, because it sounds so hateful, so I decided to check out "white trash" in the urban dictionary. Here is some of what I found:
white trash: ignorant white people who like to fight and not finish school. Hobbies include cursing extensively, drugs, and wearing extremely large whife beaters. Traits--too much gel (or is it spit), ugly.
(I especially love the traits section. I have never seen a whife beater.)
white trash: White trash is a mind set and a condition of the heart....Being judgmental is a white trash trait, as well as being selfish and verbally abusive to others.
(So what do you call someone who calls someone else "white trash?")
No offense to any males who wear silver chain necklaces--gangster, white trash or otherwise.
3 comments:
I saw a guy on campus once wearing a gold chain. It make my day.
I feel like gangster chains are way hotter than white trash necklaces.
how do they do it? and they capitalize on it too - did you see google's april fool's joke about "google autopilot" where you don't even have to write your own messages anymore? awesome. sign me up.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/google/5088909/Google-April-Fools-pranks-trick-web-users.html
Post a Comment