Tuesday, May 20, 2008

groceries, food storage, daisy dukes, and the end of the world

Grocery shopping always puts me in the best of moods. It's like clothes shopping with less guilt, and you don't have to wait as long to use your purchases. I like to come home and immediately sample some of everything I bought, and sometimes I start this phase in the checkout line or on the walk to the car (especially if I have purchased chips or a fresh baguette.) Today being food storage shopping day, I have broken tradition and will only sample the dried mango, the pita chips, the strawberries, and the HSM2. Save the beans, rice, and soy milk for another, darker day.

Today, my celeb look alike is Daisy Dukes. I have put my curly hair into ridiculous pig-tails and I will not try to justify it. Without intending, I also wore my tattered jeans with a big hole in the knee which "asealed the deal" as Strong Bad would say. At times like these, I realize how wise it is not to own certain articles of clothing (short cut-off jean shorts or mini skirt) because you never know in a moment of weakness what you might leave the house wearing.

Do you ever have that thought as you are getting dressed, the one where you wonder if "perhaps today I will be kidnapped or stranded on an island or interviewed on TV or spotted by model scouts etc etc and THIS is what I'm wearing?" I don't think I would like to be dressed like Daisy Dukes in any of those circumstances, and certainly not when the world ends (which, not to be flippant, if marked by availability of rice in the supermarkets seems sooner rather than later).

My preparations for the future have me looking in my closet and in our kitchen cupboards, which are burdened with expired food. Below is a picture of SOME of the food I'm throwing out because it was best by three years ago. We've got to make room for the new.



I threw the diaper in to give size perspective. That is a diaper for a three-year-old hunk of boy! Those are very large bags of rices and beans...doesn't mean I'll share.

4 comments:

Jane Durham said...

I wore pigtails today too! I even thought, is this what I want to look like when my husband comes home and I'm wearing the same outfit since yesterday b/c I slept at your house, and haven't washed my hair in three days? yes. i started to die when I saw the diaper. you are the bomb daisy.

Barb said...

I need to get food storage! Ack!!

Unknown said...

too bad you had to throw out the old to make room for the new. I'm wondering what sort of calamity might make prune juice and canned peas sound good. it's a stretch, though...I'll take the beans and rice, thanks, all 75 pounds of them (and by the end of that, we might be needing diapers! good thing you stocked up on all that toilet paper too...)

m.m. said...

i would love to be with your family when the beans and rice need to be consumed. i'm sure your dad will create something very tasty.