But everyone knows the world is round!
So remember how I loved old John from HP who helped me take apart my computer? Before I could talk to John, I had to give all my data (love that word, I pronounce it differently every time) to some other guy who never told me his name. I had my suspicions at the time that this HP rep was looking out his window at an Indian scene, but my suspicions were most definately confirmed when I received an email headed, "Katreen, enjoy the benefits of HP." Funny.
On another note, but slightly related, if someone offered me a time machine, I would only take it IF I could erase my memory at each destination. The way I see it (the way things go, you might get bit by the old Fido), I can get an okay sense of history from history books once you get over the whole subjectivity problem. One thing I will never get from a history book is how I would have handled situations or what side I would have taken. Example: would I have been outraged by Copernicus' claim that the sun, not the earth, was the center of the world? Would I have marched for womems rights or shook my head at the hippies over my mending? Would I have been a progressive or a conservative fraidy-cat? I think I have both tendencies in me.
There have been some seriously brave people in the history of this world. Props to them, those who know injustice and are unwilling to stand with their mouths shut as it continues. People like William Willberforce, hero of Amazing Grace (top notch film), the man who dedicated his life to the abolition of slavery in England. I'm not trying to get preachy here, but this seems a fitting place to end on Memorial Day. My Memorial Day resolution is to be more resolved, more committed to the truths I value and more committed to preserving them for those to come.
3 comments:
I loved Amazing Grace. Such a good show. As for us, it is sobering to see ourselves honestly and wonder how we would have acted or will act in the future.
hey post already
I love reading your blog. I feel that you help me see other sides of things, as well as articulate many of my own thoughts (no pressure on future post, I just have a keen appreciation for your ability with words).
I LOVE history and I love what you said about the brave people of the past. I feel that way with all my heart. I am in awe of what people have been willing to sacrifice for their beliefs (be it religious, liberty, etc). I've often wondered what I myself would be willing to sacrifice for the rights I enjoy today. Scary thought.
Post a Comment