I walk into the Maeser (why have I stayed away so long?) and sneeze as I'm coming down the stairs. I hear a faint "Bless You" but see no one--blessings falling on my head from the air, from the walls of BYU's oldest (established permanent floating) building; I move across the basement floor, sneeze again,and I am blessed again. Who is this person, so eager and anxious to bless that she sends petition in my behalf from her hiding place not once, but twice! She cannot see me, I cannot see her, and it doesn't seem to matter. Someone has sneezed and needs blessing. Have you ever had a conversation with someone who you can't see, and have never seen? Have you ever had a conversation where all you contribute is a sneeze (I didn't say thank you! for shame.)? Do you wander in pursuit or let her stay concealed, accepting your blessing and going on your way?
Later, I had arrived at my destination, set down my bag (which is a story in itself these days), and felt inside for my loveliest of lovely peaches. Suspicion confirmed--a traveling casualty. I pulled back the paper towel carefully, like pulling up denim over a skinned knee. The sight was about the same--a surface abrasion, vibrant orange flesh surrounded by ragged edges and a chunk of wrinkled skin on one side. Small bits of skin, more resilient, floated on the orange, looking like a revised world map. Europe is looking bigger these days.
I bite, juice dribbles, my third blessing today, and it's hardly 10:00.
ps. fourth blessing--rewatching the movie link jim sent me...please watch it! hilarious.
3 comments:
fifth blessing: October 24th.
that movie is spectacular! i knew you two would end up together...you and the efron.
just watched it again. totally makes me laugh, especially because I can so see you making that very face if you actually were dancing with "the efron"
Post a Comment